The annual Bull Run Festival of Lights holiday drive-through display brings cozy fun back to Northern Virginia. A perennial favorite, the Festival of Lights dazzles with a 2.5-mile drive-through display of sparkly lights.
Bull Run Festival of Lights 2020 is open from November 6 to January 10, so you have plenty of time to enjoy the holiday fun. That’s 3 more weeks of fun than in prior years!
Cars slowly make their way past and under the Festival of Lights holiday and fairytale vignettes that entertain adults and wow little ones. While most of the displays repeat year-to-year, there are new scenes to enjoy, and seeing old favorites is part of the fun.
The Bull Run Festival of Lights holiday drive is an ideal family activity for even the youngest kids. The little ones stay warm and cozy as you slowly drive past the sparkly, animated displays. We first visited with our toddlers dressed in their favorite footie jammies. Now much older, our twins still enjoy the annual tradition, though with a more critical eye and no pajamas in sight.
The lights throughout the Bull Run Festival are brighter than they were in the old days, but many of our favorite vignettes are still around. Our recent favorite are the trees dripping with holiday lights in the Winter Wonderland.
Bring a warm coat along to visit the Holiday Village & carnival at the end of the drive. The Holiday Village is open November 19 through January 1. The village includes a small carnival with a colorful ferris wheel, camel rides, and a walk-through light display with great photo opps (no Santa pics in 2020). Tickets for the carnival rides are $1.75 each, with quantity discounts available.
Bull Run Festival of Lights Holiday Tips and Logistics
November 6, 2020 – January 10, 2021
- The Bull Run Festival of Lights is open every evening. Hours are 5:30 to 9:30 Monday – Thursday, 5:30 to 10:00 Friday – Sunday and holiday nights.
- Festival of Lights holiday weekends get very busy, especially later in the season. Visit on a non-prime weekday to minimize cars and lines, and to score a nice discount.
- Save $5 by purchasing tickets online. Demand will likely be high in 2020 so definitely buy tickets in advance if you’re visiting on a weekend or holiday.
- Admission to the Bull Run Festival of Lights is $20 online/$25 at entrance for a car or van (1 to 14 people) except during peak days.
- Peak days are December 12 – 31 when admission increases to $25/$30 online/at door; still a great price.
- Larger vehicles (15 or more passengers) are $50/$55 online/at entrance.
- Use discount coupon WEB20 to save $5 on weekday tickets. With the coupon, a family of four is paying under $4 each for the Festival of Lights holiday drive. What an excellent deal!
- Bull Run Festival of Lights is at Bull Run Regional Park, 7700 Bull Run Drive, Centreville, VA 20121.
- Check the website for additional details and inclement weather closures.
Is the Bull Run Festival of Lights display part of your holiday lights traditions?
Looking for the perfect holiday gift? Read our Virginia Gift Guide now!
You’ll find more holiday fun in these seasonal articles:
- 12 Holiday Favorites from Northern Virginia Experts
- Holiday Lights in the Northern Virginia Area
- Meadowlark Gardens Winter Walk of Lights
- 10 Fun and Free Things to Do on a Washington DC Holiday Visit
- Favorite Holiday Markets in Northern Virginia and the DC Region
Please share your feedback in the comments below or join us on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram for more places to visit, things to do, and travel in and from Northern Virginia and the Washington DC region.
This article was published in 2017 and updated in 2018, 2019, and 2020.