ICE! 2018 and Christmas on the Potomac at Gaylord National Harbor bring Charlie Brown themed ice sculptures and an extravaganza of holiday fun to the Washington DC region. New this year, Cirque Dreams Unwrapped dazzles with a live show of acrobatics, aerialists, and antics in the Gaylord’s 19-story atrium.
A laser light show, featuring a 55-foot suspended Christmas tree, musical fountains, and indoor snow delights guests nightly. And special holiday activities perfect for kids and families complete the fun at Gaylord National Resort and Convention Center.
ICE! 2018 Featuring A Charlie Brown Christmas
Every year, we look forward to walking through Gaylord’s chilly tent, to see the expertly carved, colorful ice sculptures. Charlie Brown and the gang are the stars of ICE! 2018. The walk-through display features all of your favorite characters, sculpted from huge, brightly colored ice blocks.
Visitors don big blue parkas before entering the ICE! tent, which is kept at a continuous 9° Fahrenheit. That chilly temp keeps the beautiful ice sculptures crisp and bright throughout the holiday season.
In addition to the ice sculptures, kids big and small have fun on 4 multi-story slides, also sculpted from ice. Fortunately, that long parka adds warmth and a nice slippery surface for comfy sliding.
The festive Charlie Brown ice displays provide lots of opportunities to capture the perfect holiday photo.
The final sculpture in the tent features a dramatic, life-size creche carved from clear ice.
Christmas Village Activities at Gaylord National
The fun continues when you leave the ICE! tent and enter the Christmas Village. Kids can take a ride on a carousel or miniature train. All ages can enjoy the Glacier Glide Ice Skating rink, decorate a gingerbread house to take home, and build a custom fluffy friend at the Build-a-Bear Workshop. Santa is on hand for photos, and you can join Mrs. Claus for a story, Christmas Carols, and milk and cookies. All Christmas Village activities have additional fees (multi-activity packages also available).
More Fun at Christmas on the Potomac in the Gaylord National Atrium
There is lots more holiday fun in the giant Gaylord atrium. Christmas on the Potomac 2018 introduces a brand new show by Cirque Dreams Unwrapped. In Seasons Dreamings beautifully costumed performers juggle, swing through the air, defy gravity, and perform feats of strength and acrobatics in a 25-minute free show (guaranteed ticketed seats are also available).
Every night, the atrium comes alive with a colorful, laser-enhanced light show featuring the giant Christmas tree. Lights and music are synchronized with a fountain that shoots 60 feet high. Nightly indoor snowfall adds to the holiday magic.
Tips for Your Visit to ICE! 2018 and Christmas on the Potomac
- ICE! 2018 is open daily from November 16 to January 1, including Christmas day.
- Tickets for each activity and event can be purchased separately, or in a variety of discounted packages. Click for event info, tickets, and hours.
- Hours for Cirque Dreams Unwrapped vary by day, so check the calendar to reserve your spot. There is usually a 1:00 and 6:30 pm show, with an additional 8:00 pm show on Saturday nights.
- A big blue parka comes with your ICE! 2018 ticket, but bring your own mittens or gloves. You will definitely want to cover the hands of little ones using the ice slide.
- Cell phone batteries may shut down due to low temperatures in the ICE! tent, so keep your phone close to you when not in use. My iPhone died suddenly near the end of the ICE! display, and wouldn’t restart until I plugged it in.
Turn your ICE 2018! visit into a National Harbor weekend getaway for some extra holiday fun. There are several hotels at National Harbor, and lots of activities beyond the Gaylord ice sculptures. If you want to be in the middle of the Christmas fun, Gaylord National offers stay and play packages throughout the season.
Charlie Brown Christmas is a classic holiday tale of the true meaning of the season. Who doesn’t love the story of the spindly tree transformed into a beautiful spectacle? It’s a perfect theme for the 2018 ICE! sculptures.
Gaylord National Resort is at 201 Waterfront Street, National Harbor, Maryland, near Washington DC. We think it’s a wonderful place to celebrate the holiday season. Do you plan to visit ICE! 2018?
Find more festive holiday fun in the Northern Virginia and Washington DC region in these articles:
- 12 Holiday Favorites from Northern Virginia Experts
- Holiday Lights in the Northern Virginia Area
- Meadowlark Gardens Winter Walk of Lights
- Bull Run Festival of Lights
- LightUp Fest at One Loudoun
- Holiday Shopping Fun in Northern Virginia
Fun in Fairfax VA was hosted to a media preview of ICE! 2018 at Gaylord National Resort. All opinions and text are our own. Some photographs are by Chris Militzer, used with permission. Chris is an Alexandria, Virginia photographer specializing in fine art photography of landscapes and nature, featured on Visit Virginia, and USA Today. Browse and purchase Chris’s photographs at Miliman12 Photography, and on Instagram and Twitter.